I often share about my love for summer fruits and how I just can't get enough of them! Peaches are at the top of the list of yummy summer fruits that I'm always trying to find things to make with! Last week I was having a serious craving for some vanilla ice cream... And what goes best with ice cream? A pie of course! (Or in this case, a peach cobbler!)
I was in a serious baking mood and wanted to make something I could enjoy and not feel super guilty about... I mean it is fruit, right?! I also wanted to make something that was pretty simple, so that resulted in this sweet, yummy, warm, delectable dessert.
I imagine this would be just as good with blueberries or blackberries tossed in the mix! Check out the super easy and quick recipe below:
For the filling:
- 6-8 slightly firm yellow peaches
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, vanilla and cornstarch.
- Toss together to coat peaches evenly and pour into pie or other baking dish. (Individual baking dishes work too!) Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in cold butter with a pastry cutter or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. A food processor also works great! Stir in boiling water until just combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 3 tablespoons of white sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them to coat most of the peaches. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture evenly over the topping. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm and don't forget the vanilla ice cream!!
This is such a great dessert to serve for special dinners and occasions. Your friends and family will love it! What are your favorite summer desserts?