Cashew Cheese - A Dairy Free Cheese Alternative
Okay, I have a confession. I loveeeee cheese! Like, seriously love it. I would eat cheese on just about everything if I could. Pizza, pasta, salad, etc. Cheese just makes everything better. But sadly, as much as I love cheese, my body does not. Being lactose intolerant is a hard thing and deprives me of everything good in life! For so long I've eaten cheese, even when I wasn't supposed to. I've been working hard to substitute cheese in as many dishes as I could.
But really, there aren't many things that can be substitutes for cheese and make me just as happy. Until I discovered Cashew Cheese! When I discovered this gem, I was in heaven. Cashew Cheese is a healthy fat, chock full of C + E vitamins, protein and fiber!
Cashew Cheese is a creamy, delicious dairy alternative that can be subbed into your life in so many dishes. Best of all, it's healthier than cheese and vegan friendly, for your friends!
You can use it:
- as a substitute to ricotta cheese
- as a topping for various pasta dishes
- as a great dip with chips or fresh veggies
- on a salad or on top of fresh or steamed veggies
- as a dressing, mixed with olive oil to loosen it up
- as a spread on a sandwich, crackers or toast
- mixed into a sauce
Here's the yummy recipe!
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours+ and then drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut)
- 1 tablespoon agave or coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- a small handful of chopped fresh basil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a high power blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, stopping every now and then to scrape down the sides.
- If it's not creamy enough for you, add additional non-dairy milk a little at a time until it gets to your desired consistency.
- Add any additional herbs you may like, I imagine parsley, cilantro or chives would be amazing with this!
Check out my Zucchini Ravioli recipe where this Cashew Cheese becomes the star of the dish!!!