I’ve been dreaming about cinnamon rolls lately. The ooey gooey centers of soft warm sweet bread with sticky vanilla icing rolling down the sides… okay okay I’ll stop making you drool! Every now and then I get a craving for a sweet bread dessert and cinnamon rolls always do the trick! Last Sunday, I was heading over a girlfriend’s house to watch some football and decided to combine the fall flavors of pumpkin with the warm sweet bread that is a cinnamon roll. In just an hour, my home was full of the aroma of Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls and in just 2 hours, my friends were wolfing these down while cheering on our team!
A couple of notes:
- This recipe is non-bake friendly for you “non bakers” out there and is quick because it uses an oven rising method so that you don’t spend all day waiting to taste these things!
- When rolling the dough out, use a pizza cutter to get a precise cut on the edges.
- When you add the filling and begin to roll it into the buns, some of the pumpkin is going to come out of the ends. IT IS OKAY. Baking is supposed to be fun and carefree – not perfect 🙂
- As you can see, I forgot to pinch my ends. Be sure to pinch the ends of the rolls after you roll them up so that it seals them while they bake.
- I threw in 2 alternative fillings and toppings on the recipe card below if you’re not feeling the pumpkin flavor!
- These are delicious straight out of the oven, but can also be eaten up to 3 days from making by simply warming up for a few seconds in the microwave. They can also be frozen and popped into the oven when you’re having a sweet tooth!
Here’s the recipe!
PUMPKIN SPICE CINNAMON ROLLS – Serves 12 (or 6 because most likely everyone will eat 2!)
- 2 and 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Make the dough: In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast together until well combined. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, warm the water, milk and butter until butter is melted (about 45 seconds). Stir together the flour mixture and butter mixture and add in egg. Knead by hand or use stand mixer for 4 minutes until dough forms a ball and is no longer sticky. Place in a greased bowl and let rest for 5 min.
- Make the filling: In a small bowl, combine pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice and sugar. After the dough has rested, roll it out into 15×9 inch rectangle. Spread about half of the pumpkin puree mix onto the dough until coated to the edges. Lengthwise, roll the dough up tightly and cut into 12 even pieces. Be sure to pinch the edges once rolled up. Place into lightly greased 9×13 pan and cover with foil.
- Turn off the oven! Place the rolls in the oven to let rise for 20 minutes. After 20 min, keep the rolls in the oven but remove the foil. Set the oven to 375F and continue to bake the rolls for 15-20 min or until golden brown.
- Make the glaze: Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls!
ALSO: Here’s an easy downloadable recipe card! Just click the image below and you can pin it to your Pinterest board OR save to your device for easy reading! 🙂